Depression is termed as a mood disorder where a person is filled with negative thoughts and those thoughts affect specific body functions like sleeping, appetite, sex drive and others. There are a lot of differences between feeling blue for a considerable amount of time and having depression disorder. There are many types of depression. How should you diagnose whether you have depression?
This is the first stage of diagnosis. In this step, a doctor asks a set of questions to you about your health, both physical and mental. The doctor would try to link any physical problem with underlying mental pain. This could take a while and only if the subject is ready to reveal all details about his physical and mental condition, the doctor can diagnose effectively. Never undergo any therapies for arthritis if you are down with depression.
Common signs and symptoms for clinical diagnosis
For clinical diagnosis, following symptoms are checked in a subject.
- Depressed mood and constantly irritable
- Blood pressure levels
- Reduced or lack of interest in pleasure or any other activities that would induce fun.
- Significant decrease or increase in weight, without any reason.
- Decrease or increase in appetite
- Restlessness and slowed focus or lack of attention
- Trouble in decision-making
- Thoughts or risk of suicide or attempts for suicide
While analyzing symptoms, it is important to make sure that you do not get misguided with similar symptoms of other Mental health medical conditions.
- Bipolar disorder has mood swings which might resemble depression.
- Cyclothymic disorder
- Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder which is common in children
- Persistent depressive disorder which is a less severe form of depression
- A premenstrual dysphoric disorder that happens due to change in hormone before the onset of menstruation.
- Depression caused by the withdrawal of recreational drugs.
- Exercise precaution while undergoing hair loss treatment, as it might result in depression.
Your symptoms may not be severe enough for people around you to notice or to affect your daily activities. If you doubt that you might be suffering from depression, it is better to go to a doctor, as soon as possible. With psychological counseling, change in daily routine and medication, you would be out of the problem in no time. If you delay more, you may end up with long term treatment. Never undertake any of the weight loss programs in a depressed state